Tuesday, January 6, 2009

New Year, New Blog

It is January 7th and I am sitting at the office thinking of how little I tell people about what is going on in my life. So I am going to start posting and updating this blog as often as I possibly can. I think this will be easier for me than trying to write emails, I am not really sure why that is but we will see.

Here is a very general sweep of what is going on in my life right now and what will be happening, God willing, in the near future.

I have now been married for one year and nine days and it has been a very sweat year. As Bum and I grow in our marriage relationship I am also growing in my understanding of my relationship with Christ as his bride. I thank God for the gift that he has given me in Bum and in the lives of other married people as examples and inspirations for Bum and I to emulate. I am going through John Piper's book This Momentary Marriage and am enjoying seeing marriage filtered through the lens of scripture in stead of contaminated by modern culture and the worship of self for the sake of I.

I am working at Grace Language School (GLS) as an intern for my second semester of my last year at Mae Fah Luang University. GLS is an outreach of Baan Atithaan Church to both benefit the community and open doors to spread the gospel. I work as a teacher and recruiter for GLS and do anything else that pretty much anybody asks me to do. As recruiter I would like to take a second to say if any of you are or know of any recent college graduates that would like to come to Thailand for 1-2 years as volunteers for GLS please contact me so that I can help them get here or give them more information. So far in my internship I have taught over 50 hours, planed Friday night activities for the students, helped arrange a three day English camp, and various other things around the church and school. My internship will end at the end of February and then I will begin working full time for a school that I have been teaching at on Saturdays for the past three years.

Bum and I are planing to come to the States some time next year to stay for 2-3 years. I hope to go to seminary while we are there but that will largely depend on how much financial support I am able to raise before and while we are there. After our time in the states is over we will move back to Thailand and settle in a city called Nakonsawan. This is an almost totally unreached area consisting primarily of ethnic Thai peoples (almost 1 million as of 2006 census). Bum has a lot of friends who live in this city and they all tell her that she is the only Christian that they know. We hope to move there start a small business/teach English and begin a house church. Please pray that God would establish our plans and lead our steps.

That's about it for my first post. Please keep Bum and I in your prayers and know that we will be praying for you.

Philippians 2:3-5

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear that you and Bum are doing well. I'm proud that you are finishing strong with school. What an accomplishment! It sounds like there are also exciting possibilities on the horizon. Nakonsawan sounds like it's right up your alley. I look forward to seeing you when you're back stateside. Give my best to Bum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great beginning. I've seen these colors somewhere before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We hope to keep more up to date with you this way Glen. Blessings on you both.
    Chuck and Janet

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart is overwhelmed as I watch you seek the very heart of God. I will talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete